Designs on a grand scale

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Oct 7 00:05:52 MDT 2006

At 12:21 pm +1000 7/10/06, Overs Pianos wrote:

>The beauty of setting up a scaling sheet in this way is that you can
>change the speaking length values for either A1 or Bfl 26 and the
>sheet will update all the intermediate speaking lengths to form a
>perfect geometric progression.

Hello Ron,

Thanks for the confirmation of your surprising design.  I have to
take advantage of good weather today to get work done outside, so
I'll have a closer look at your reasoning later.

As to the spreadsheet, I would automate it to a greater extent by
using named cells so that the key data can be entered in only 4 cells
and all the rest changes automatically.  I began using Excel before
it was renamed Excel -- Multiplan for the Mac in 1985 -- and my bass
string spreadsheet dates originally from way back then.  Horrifying
thought!

I attach a roughly composed alternative to your speadsheet to show
what I mean. You will see how it works by editing the named cells
(for example, set n1_ to -5 and a49_ to 442) and looking at the
formulae.

JD