Envelope/sound

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Oct 7 08:56:23 MDT 2006

I think, actually, that was my description.  The struck piano string has two
main elements to the tone.  The first is the sound at attack-when the hammer
strikes the string, the second is the sound which follows-the sustain.  Were
you to graph the sound levels you would find that the attack sound would
peak substantially higher and tend to be more chaotic than the sustain which
follows.  The greater that differential and the more chaotic the attack, the
more percussive the piano sounds, the less singing the tone.  This becomes
more evident in trying to play legato where there is the feeling of the
notes connecting.  Part of the process of voicing is to find the best
balance between the sound at attack and the sustain that follows.  A
properly designed and functioning soundboard also contributes to the
mitigating the harshness of the attack (without killing it totally) and
enhancing  the quality of sustain.  It's a balancing act with all the
components playing a role.   Generally speaking, I would prefer to see the
attack portion of the sound closer in level to the sustain that follows,
i.e. the difference minimized to the degree that is reasonable without
reducing the attack sound below a level that is acceptable.  It's a judgment
call ultimately.  In spite of what the actual sustain quality is of the
instrument, however, the perception of good sustain and firm but round tone
will have everything to do with minimizing that differential and reducing
the chaos of the attack.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com