Replacing a damper spring !

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Sun Oct 8 14:20:05 MDT 2006

Sure.  If you have a good screw-holder (screw grabber), just
loosen the flange screw with a long thin screwdriver, grab the
screw with the grabber, wiggle the whole damper lever up & down
to get it to pop loose from the rail, then either a) use a
"repair damper spring" that hooks under the head of the screw
(it'll be a challenge to hold it in place while you insert and
tighten the flange screw or b)drill out the cord with your 3/32"
drill, remove the broken spring, insert a new one, thread new
cord through the holes in the flange and the spring, trim it,
put the damper lever back on the rail, and use the screw grabber
to get the screw started.  Re:  the flange cord:  one end has to
be like a shoelace.  You skin back the outer woven covering for
an inch or two, clip off the inner core, then stretch out the
outer covering, twist it into a smaller diameter than the rest
of the cord and dip it in lacquer or glue or sanding sealer or
something that will make it stiffen and serve as a "needle" for
threading the cord through those little holes.
    --David Nereson, RPT