Hammer Types

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Sun Oct 8 17:20:50 MDT 2006

Our choice was confirmed over the next several days as a number of other people
were able to listen to and evaluate these three pianos. The piano with the
Ronsen/Bacon hammers was growing in popularity.

The preference for the harder sounding hammers does depend, somewhat, on the
type of music being played. It has been my observation that some pianists really
have little use for a broad timbral range. Several of the folks who expressed a
preference for the Ronsen/Wurzen (or the Abel) hammers played with a fairly
heavy hand. In some cases rarely, if ever, getting much below a mezzo-forte. In
these cases there is little need for anything approaching pianissimo.

Del