Hammer Types

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Oct 9 18:51:51 MDT 2006

I would have to concur with that.  The couple of people who liked the
Wurzens seemed to be those who were thinking in terms of their Yamaha
customers--not a good model for this design.

In terms of the voicing required for the Bacon felt hammers, it was really
very minimal.  Both Bacon and Wurzen sets were put on the pounder for 6
hours before I got to them.  As expected I spent a fair amount of time doing
"pre-voicing" type of work: fitting, spacing, regulating, etc.  With the
Bacon felt hammers, the first capo section needed a bit of light filing (150
grit gang filed fairly modestly) and the piano came up very nicely.  The
rest of the piano was just right including the top end--though some filing
was done after the hammers were hung in that section, I believe.  Light
crown needling to smooth things out was all that was needed after that.
Aside from the pre-voicing routine, I spent not more than an hour to get
them up and running and smoothed out.

The Wurzens, on the other hand, were a couple of hours of needling (most
heavily in the bass section) and the level was still above where I would
have liked it--and where the Bacon felt hammers were out of the box) as Del
mentioned in the other post.  How the hammers would continue to develop was
a concern with the Wurzens, not so with the Bacon felt hammers.  The Wurzens
would have needed constant attention to keep them from getting to harsh.  I
thought the Bacon felt hammers would not only not have that problem but
would likely improve with a bit of playing time.

After spending a hour or two needling the Abel hammers, it was clear that I
would not be able to achieve the proper voice within the time I felt
reasonable for a factory/production situation (if at all) so I didn't pursue
it much after that.  I smoothed things out so that everyone could get a
sense of the overall level but left them where they seemed determined to
stay.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com