Dampp-Chaser wattage needed

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sun Oct 8 19:10:48 MDT 2006

Hi Brett

The short answer is that it is not. It's not responsible for any tech or
dealer or even DampChaswer to recommend a 25 watt bar with no humidistat for
your climate. I recommend 75 watts minimum for Indiana. I suspect you need
125 watts minimum for where you are. Sell people the 125 watt system (w/
undercover and string cover) and let them know it might not be enough. Tell
them after you've tuned it for another 12-18 months you can determine it's
level of stability and you may at that point recommend more wattage.

It seems to me that you are selling short your experience and anecdotal
evidence. You have seen and worked on pianos with the 25 watt bar that have
huge humidity issues. In other words, you have proof positive the 25 watts
is inadequate.

Tell your customers the truth: the dealer may know how to sell pianos but he
does not know how to service them nor does he have a shred of evidence that
a 25 watt bar is adequate. You, on the other hand, have mountains of
evidence that 25 watts is totally inadequate. Your customers know they live
in a severe humidity environment. It shouldn't be hard to take your first
hand knowledge of how severely pianos get damaged in such an environment,
add it to your customers first hand knowledge of the severe humidity they
live in, and sell them the severe de-humidification system they need. Be
sure to pepper your sales pitch with plenty of true horror stories of 20
year old pianos you servcie w/ 25 watt bars that need totally rebuilt.

Don't be afraid to sell off your first hand knowledge. And don't be afraid
to discredit the dealer as a credible piano technician- he's not and you
are. He sells pianos. You rebuild them after only 20 years of being exposed
to damaging humidity. Who are they going to believe?

Blessings,

Dean

  _____