A downside to self-employment

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 8 21:29:42 MDT 2006

Learn to tune softer, less demanding test blows.  It also saves ears. You
might change your hammer position. I carry four hammers, and though I tune
lefty on uprights, and righ-handed on grands, I don't stick with the
standard positions.  It isn't uncommon for me to use three different hammers
on a single piano. I suspect "keeping on" is ignoring body warning signs
which could kick you really hard somewhere down the line. It sounds like
your body is telling you to find some new ways to approach tuning. On of the
locals, a 'two handed tuner' advises if one is a lefty, tune one or two
notes on every tuning with right hand. Then slowly increase that, so that
over time one can become capable of tuning either way.    Dave Porritt tunes
in a way that I was sure couldn't be done, and yet I watched him over and
over slip unisons in like the gods were doing the work.  His technique might
be of some help for you as well. Somwhere you are "out of alignment" when
you tune.  Maybe having someone with twenty years  experience watch you for
awhile might provide some insights also........
les bartlett
houston
www.bartlettpianoservice.com