S&S D with high strings/low action stack

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Oct 9 14:48:22 MDT 2006

At 2:25 pm -0400 9/10/06, Jon Page wrote:

>Here's a few items to consider while getting the action "Returned
>for Regrooving".
>
>Hammer flange center to bottom of string:
>S-B         C-D
>4.6 cm    4.9 cm
>
>Whippen flange center from strings:
>11 cm      11.3 cm

I've no experience of American 4 year-old Steinways but every
Steinway grand I've ever measured, and most other makes too, have an
arched strike line with a difference of several millimetres between
the string height at note 21 (lowest on long bridge) and that at note
88.  That difference, and also the difference in string angle to the
horizontal ought to be taken into account when boring the hammers,
since the rails should surely be straight and not arched.  If the
hammers are wrongly bored on this Friday grand, as seems very likely
to me, then the proper solution is to throw them out and fit a set
that is properly bored to the actual dimensions of the piano.

JD