S&S D with high strings/low action stack

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Oct 9 19:11:09 MDT 2006

Hi Stephane
  Every body has there own take on this & ...I have  mine.  I'll answer your
queries one at a time

Hello  John.

When boring hammers, should we favor strictly the string height  minus shank
center height at the cost of no straight hammer height at rest  (reflecting
   I measure the  string height  &  subtract the center pin height  from that
& then substract 1mm  more & that is my bore distance.  Which means the
hammer shanks will  all over center a small amount.  But that is the way so many
actions are  set up & it is I believe for the following reason...
   The idea is that maximum power is  achieved from the hammer at rest to the
point of let off which occurs  before the hammer ever hits the string .Now
Freeze frame.... the  shank is in the straight out position. Action The
shank/hammer now travel  freely 1 or 2 mm past that point and hit the  string.

the not straight strike line height at strings) ?
  Since the string planes on most pianos I work on are  not all the same
height off the key bed, I favor boring the hammers to match the  curve of the
string plane.  This method  allows for the shanks  from bass to treble to all be
at the same position at let off & at rest. Yes  the hammer line ot tops of the
hammers  may travel up hill or down hill a  samll amount but the important
thing is the action will have a very uniform  regulation end to end.  Am I making
any sense?

Also, when gluing hammers on shanks, should we favor the hammer crowns
straight line at rest, at the cost of aural best position ?

  I Never do.  I am giving a class on this subject at  the Calif. State
convention. in Feb 2006 Called finding the strike  line/working with hammers. The
way we bore our hammers will also have a huge  bearing on where the hammer
strike  lines are located.
  I find very few straight hammer strike line in the  treble are the optimal
strike  point.

In other words, how much should we care about aesthetics when doing  hammer
work ?
  I know that a hammer job can be both beautiful  & tonally accurate even
without straight strike lines in the treble which is  where all the futz factor
comes into play. Usually when ahnging them by ear the  resulatant line will be
horshoe type curve or slightly curving line or lines  that vary from the first
treble to the top treble.
  Hammer Boring ,plate casting variations &  erroneous original guide hammers
can all contribute to a new set of hammers  failing to optimize the tonal
potential of the piano.
  Hope this helps
  Regards
  Dale Erwin