S&S D with high strings/low action stack

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Oct 10 00:40:23 MDT 2006

At 12:14 am +0200 10/10/06, StŽphane Collin wrote:

>When boring hammers, should we favor strictly the string heigth
>minus shank center heigth at the cost of no straight hammer heigth
>at rest (reflecting the not straight strike line heigth at strings) ?

Broadly speaking I agree with Dale Erwin, as far as he goes, except
that I aim to have each hammer strike the string at exactly a right
angle.  I don't follow the reasoning as regards over-centring.  It
might be argued that the shank bends under a heavy blow and therefore
tends to cause the hammer head to under-centre slightly, but given
the rigidity and thickness of modern shanks, particularly the
hornbeam ones, I doubt if this is significant and would need to see a
slow motion movie to be convinced.  Nevertheless I think it would be
a valid research exercise for someone with the equipment, if it
hasn't already been done.

Let me re-emphasise the importance of taking into account the slope
of the strings, which is considerable, and most critical, in the high
treble -- but this slope needs to be measured throughout the scale
for every piano and factored into the bore angle.  If this is
ignored, the hammers in the extreme treble will under-centre.

Hammer-heads nowadays are made of a uniform length, at least by all
the makers I use (Imadegawa, Abel, Renner) and if you examine hammers
from the good old days you will discover that this was not the rule
then and that account used to be taken of the arching of the strike
line.  The length of the head should be such that the tail hits the
check at the same height throughout the scale.

>Also, when gluing hammers on shanks, should we favor the hammer
>crowns straight line at rest, at the cost of aural best position ?

If you give each note the same blow (and hence the same touch depth),
the crowns will rest in a line parallel to the string-height line.

>In other words, how much should we care about aesthetics when doing
>hammer work

Aesthetics is a broad concept and applies to function and design in
all its aspects.  There is nothing intrinsically beautiful about a
straight line, as any  ancient Greek architect could tell you.  Is a
clothes-line or a telegraph wire intrinsically ugly? :-)

JD