soundboard drying speed

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Oct 10 11:06:48 MDT 2006

> When you are preparing an old soundboard for repairing
> cracks and refinishing, perhaps for coating with epoxy
> to reinforce, is a slower, gentler drying speed better
> for the board?  Can making a board to desorb too
> quickly cause fiber damage or other damage?

I don't think the rate at which the board gives up it's
moisture is a problem, but the way by which it's induced could
very well be. If you're drying it with air that's been dried
by chilling and condensing the moisture out of it, you won't
hurt it. Using heat, as most of us do, can damage the board.
Realistically, an oil filled or ceramic heater under the
blanket shrouded piano, cooking at 100°F for a day will likely
get the job done without hurting anything.

  Knowing what the MC actually is in the panel is another
problem. When is it ready? A shop made MC gage as shown, set
on top of the soundboard under the blanket, will give you a
reasonably accurate idea of the MC of the panel to tell you
when it's time to proceed.

Ron N