soundboard drying speed ( Thanks Ron ! Details ???)

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 11 11:18:38 MDT 2006

Great idea. I only wonder what .000 of movement equals
"adequate" drying. And does this thing "wear out" (
lose "elasticity" after several cycles )?
     I do my drying in an aluminum, portable
outbuilding in my backyard. I also do my finishing and
ozoning there, thus displacing some very serious
health hazards. It is 10'x12', which is really not
quite big enough ( but I got a "deal" on it ).

    Stainless steel sheets on the floor ( from the
"scratch and dent" sale at the steelyard ) keep the
plywood from transferring moisture. As the walls are
aluminum, I can get the RH from 70% to 15% in about 30
minutes, with a Sears room dehumidifier. A hose runs
from the tank to outside, so I don't have to dump it
by hand. ( Some dehumidifiers have a  fitting for
this. )  An air conditioner in one of the windows also
helps dehumidify, while keeping the temperature down
if the sun shines too much.
     At 15% RH, the cracks open up nicely, but don't
elongate. Yes, some joints also open up a bit ( beam
to rim, about 1/32" ) but I'll get some glue in there.
As I see it, these beams already suffered "compression
set" from the excessive moisture the pianos are
subjected to, here in Georgia, so it's "not my fault".
More importantly, I believe, is that I get my shims (
made from old soundboards ) in nice and tight, in a
shrunk-down board, so I get a little more crown when
it is re-humidified. And so cracks don't open up
later, along the shims.

     Peace,