soundboard drying speed ( Thanks Ron ! Details ???)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Oct 11 11:54:30 MDT 2006

> Great idea. I only wonder what .000 of movement equals
> "adequate" drying.

That's not how it works. It's calibrated to give a direct MC
reading of the wood, based on dimensional changes with
moisture changes. The "0" on the dial is 10%MC, where 0.90 is
9%, and 0.1 is 11%, etc, so 0.010"=1%MC. You have to decide
for yourself what MC is adequate, but the gage minimizes
random guessing as to what the panel MC might actually be.

> And does this thing "wear out" (
> lose "elasticity" after several cycles )?

No, because it's not under any greater load than the spring of
the dial indicator plunger.
Ron N