Collard & Collard Patent Repeater Action, London

Rob Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Tue Oct 10 12:54:30 MDT 2006

Hello everyone-
I've been off the list for a very long time but have been lurking for the
last couple weeks.

This Collard & Collard reminds me of one of the most bazaar and nonsensical
heaps I have ever come across- and probably ever will.

A number of years ago the local big dealer took what they thought was a
Collard & Collard upright in on trade.  It had a beautiful carved case as
described.  The black keys had very unusual rounded ends which nestled into
rounded corners of the white keys.  The front was glass with elaborate
carved wood in front that resembled leaded art glass.  There was also a
digital player in it of unknown origin.  The piano was not working properly.
The keys felt mushy and in general the piano did not sound very good.  The
player did not work at all.  One day the music store called me in to have me
take a look-see.

What I found was incredible.  Someone must have put hundreds of hours labor
into this thing.  Inside it was in fact a Marshall & Wendell upright.
Someone disassembled both pianos and then reassembled the parts in order to
convert the Marshall & Wendell into looking like the Collard & Collard.  The
keys were too short so they had to cut them half way and insert new wood to
elongate them.  A spline joint was used and they were all coming unglued and
breaking which explained why the keys felt mushy.  Very little of anything
lined up.  The Collard & Collard was actually slightly taller then the
Marshal & Wendell so there was a spacer at the top to make up the
difference.  What appeared to be leaded art glass in the front was actually
plexiglass.  The elaborate carving on the front was made from 1/8" stained
plywood and had been cut by hand on a scroll saw.  That task alone must have
taken many hours.  Furthermore the Marshall & Wendell was in it's original
unrestored state, complete with flat ugly hammers and rusted strings.

The tale goes on.  The "digital player" was entirely home-made!  Floppy
disks were played through a generic stand-alone compact sequencer.  The
output was run through a variety of home-designed circuits with confusing
wiring.  To make things more complicated there were no solenoids.  Instead
the note data triggered a series of tiny magnetic valves linked to a set of
pneumatics.  These were made almost entirely out of aluminum and powered by
a suction box. None of it worked and I doubt it ever worked well in the
beginning.

Why someone would torture themselves with such a futile goofy project is
beyond comprehension.  If they had simply rebuilt the Collard & Collard to
begin with and installed a PianoDisc system it would have probably taken a
quarter of the time and actually worked!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

Subject: Collard & Collard Patent Repeater Action, London