Benefits of tilting the piano, instead of the drill press ? ( Opinions sought. )

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 11 14:13:05 MDT 2006

This morning I was lying in bed dreaming of different
ways to do stuff, and it occured to me that if you had
a radial drill press on a  movable carriage on the
floor ( or a normal one, levitating, like Terry's )
and tilted the PIANO, all the holes would be drilled
at the same angle, with no chance of deviation, as
long as the floor or tracks were straight and level.
On the other hand, if you slide the drill press across
on a plank, you have to keep the arm of it
perpendicular to the stretcher, or in line with the
strings, to achieve  uniformity.
     Does it matter if pins are angled in reference to
the stretcher, or should they all be canted away in a
line directly in line with the strings? What is
usually done? ( I've never paid any attention to this.
) If you wnated the pins canted away from the strings,
directly, you'd have to drawa  bunch of lines on the
pin block, or have a "guide arm" or something. If you
wanted them tilted relative to the stretcher, you
could draw a bunch of perpendeicular lines on your
plank, across the piano, and keep the drill press base
lined up with these ( and its arm. )
     But tilting the piano would make this accuyracy
automatic
     What think ye?
     THump