S&S D with high strings/low action stack

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Thu Oct 12 12:21:35 MDT 2006

In a message dated 10/12/2006 10:18:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
anrebe at sbcglobal.net writes:
Either we raise the whole keyframe and action or we
lower the plate and string plane.
Andrew,

The plate is clearly too high, but the pinblock is not. Don't forget probable
clearance problems if you raise the action or stack. Start by talking to the
factory, armed with your measurements. I think we'll all be very interested to
hear what they have to say! Did you get my post of 10/9, partially quoted
below?

"My first guess is that the plate is mounted too high. I've seen this in more
than one D that age. If memory serves (hah!) the factory spec is 7 5/8" plus
or minus 1/8". I'll bet you find the string line higher than 7 3/4. The
pinblock will still be in the same place, though, and shimming up the action stack
may cause the drop screws to drag on the pinblock. The hammers are probably
close to nominal, so the shanks are probably way above the cushions, which will
affect repetition.

Anything you do, short of lowering the string plane, is a make-do. As others
have said, boring a new set of factory hammers (apart from any voicing issues)
would leave you with short tails; the taller hammers would drag on the block
going in and out, as the current ones probably are.

Bob Davis