Brahms Trio and Leather

a.acker at comcast.net a.acker at comcast.net
Thu Oct 12 12:21:31 MDT 2006

Exactly right!   What kind of fp and what kind of leather?  A pet project is duplicating historic leathers for these old pianos.   Modern leather is woefully inappropriate and misleading.

Best,  Anne...back to reconstructing the insides of a harpsichord with historically inaccurate framing and ribbing which led to disaster under years of tension.  Instrument is otherwise fantastic so deserves to live.

>From Conrad>>>>>

This sentiment was clearly brought home to me (again) last Friday evening
when we had a faculty recital. (harpsichord/fortepiano/baroque
violin).   I'd heard a couple of the pieces played by other faculty members
on modern instruments and really wished the other pianist could have been
there to hear the Fp/violin version.

Balance was achieved which is probably impossible in the modern mode, but
hearing it from historical (real or repro) certainly gives a better idea of
what Mozart might have had in mind and possible emulated.

BTW, to get back to the subject line - the hammer type on that Fp is
layered leather...