Cold and dry

Marcel Carey mcpiano at videotron.ca
Fri Oct 13 05:12:53 MDT 2006

I've tuned pianos in cottages (Québec cold winters) that had nothing in
them and the pitch was always RIGHT ON. These were old pianos and there
were rusty, but I can't tell for sure if it was because of their life in
these cottages. If the temperature is kept down in the winter, then the
humidity level will stay reasonable. I have people put mothballs inside
the piano to prevent mice. They can't stand the odor. If I was to
install something in a situation like the one you mentioned, I would
only use the dehumidifier bar with a "wet" humidistat.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC