Antique Pianos

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Fri Oct 13 05:44:02 MDT 2006

Hello Elwood.

Here in Europe, collectors (etc.) tend to consider NOT antique a piano from
after the 2nd wave of makers, that is 1853 (Steinway, Bechstein, Blüthner).
Those pianos are often presented as spoiled by the spirit of
industrialisation and dedicated to favour the power at cost of the colour
(also, in this niche of market, you hear often the sacro-saint milestone of
1849 (the date of the death of Chopin) ; anything from before has per se
more value;  the other milestone is 1859, date when Hans von Bülow created
the Sonata in B minor of Franz Liszt on the first Bechstein concert grand
(the #100) , and one of the first time that the piano was still whole after
the concert).
Curiously enough, that is exactly what I would think about pianos from after
1900, leaving those between 1850 and 1900 in the ensemble of the pianos that
I myself find most charming.  I happen (lucky me) to have at this moment
side by side a 1916 Bechstein model A (183 cm) and a 1871 Bechstein model IV
(220 cm).  What a difference !  In power of course (the 1913 is MUCH more
powerful), in brillance (the 1913 is capable of more high partials), in
damping (the 1913 has more, larger, more efficient dampers),  in action (the
1913 has modern repetition action, the 1871 has english type of action), and
in overall tone colour (the 1913 ressembles more what you hear today,
grosso).  I happen, on all these topics, to prefer the older one, by far.
Ah yes, also, the casework and veneer is much nicer on the 1871.  Curiously,
also, you would expect the 1913 to be more even along the scale, but no,
opposite, the 1871 is, while the 1913 is clearly designed to give different
colours to different registers.  Yet, the 1871 has a larger palette of
colour shades.

Anyway, as Conrad pointed out, both pianos are older than I am, and even
than he is.  And, for me, the 1913 is a modern piano, while the 1871 is an
antique.  But few share my opinion on this, because both are from after
1849.

Best antique regards.

Stéphane Collin.