New Hammers on Old Piano

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Oct 13 10:01:55 MDT 2006

I'm rebuilding a WNG action for a 100-year-old Julius Bauer grand - about 6-foot. This is the one with the lightly-built case, and plate that looks like it should be the frame for an army tank. It also has the soundboard with ribs on both sides. The belly is all original, in very good condition, and will be getting new damper felt and bass strings.

I'm looking for recommendations for new hammers. I've been using mostly softer cold-pressed hammers, but those are for Del-Fandrich-designed bellies. I suspect this soundboard differs significantly from a Del-design - and as such, may well do better with a different type of hammer. I've used Abel Lights with much success on original-bellied old American pianos in the past (S&S, Baldwin, others), and left unguided, I might be inclined to go with them - just thinking that the soundboard is likely not as efficient as a Fandrich-design and might benefit from the firmer hammer.

Anyone have any thoughts on this matter? Thanks.

Terry Farrell

BTW: This piano is absolutely amazing. I have never seen a more finely constructed piano. The plate must have twice or more the cast iron that a similar-sized Baldwin or S&S would have. The pinblock is surrounded on five sides with cast iron - only the bottom is open. The belly rail is arched - like a full inch - to induce a crown into the soundboard. So many unusual features - the lack of wooden rim (only a small one) and complete lack of rim bracing - and the way the plate is the entire structural component of the piano - this is really a cast-iron piano with a decorative wooden case. If you enjoy studying piano design and construction, you really need to go through one of these very fine pianos.