Laser line for block drilling ? ( Was: Benefits of tilting the piano, instead of the drill press . )

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 13 11:54:12 MDT 2006

Gordon-
Perhaps most important is to be aware that too great an angle will cause the string to wind down the pin on its own, making it impossible to get tight coils.
Check the Pianotech archives about this.  Newton Hunt made some good posts on the topic.
Your laser approach would probably work best if you arranged it to point to the bridge pins of the note you're drilling (assuming the block is in the piano.  I think most small shops have adopted some form of the small floating press to drill in the piano. See the article by Jack Krefting in the PTG Reprints book.
Ed Sutton