Key Buttons

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 16 00:05:42 MDT 2006

"Thanks for all the tips. I just bought a bandsaw for that purpose. I plan to
use hot glue, so the waiting will be a bit longer between buttons. I have
the Jaras jig, too. I am a stickler for hot glue, as that is all I have ever
used, for 25 years now, and I am so used to it.
So, I'll rough cut with band saw, then try to get more flush with band saw
after gluing, then use a block plane.."
Thanks!
Berley Firmin II

Berley,
Many on this list have heard me rail about the use of Hot Hide Glue. In the case of Key buttons, I, personally wouldn't use it. (Used to, don't now.) The one thing that I try to think about, when selecting THE proper glue is: Do I ever anticipate that I want to remove this part? Or, will this part ever wear out? If the answer is YES, then Hot Hide Glue is appropriate, IMO. In the case of Key Buttons, they do not wear out. Only the bushing wears out and will need to be replaced. In that case, you do not want to have the key button come off in the attempt to remove the bushing. So....Hot Hide Glue should not be used, IMO. As for "try to get more flush with band saw"...not! use a rasp, plane sander, hand sand, would give a much better finished, (craftsman-like) appearance, IMO. Come on out of the 19th century and use the better tools available for better finished product. Safer too.<G>
REgards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I