Laser Level for Bench Regulation

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 16 06:10:37 MDT 2006

Conrad-

Obviously you cannot set a curved line with the laser. That's one reason why I didn't suggest using it for key leveling.  The second is that it probably doesn't give a clear signal to .002"  The third is that I just didn't have a chance to try it anyway.

For setting let off in pianos with uneven string planes, final regulation is required in the piano (a good idea in all cases). This is true of all straight edges used for setting let off.  That's why I wrote "For some pianos it could perhaps also gauge let off and drop."

To set hammer line, align the laser, then flip all hammers up, flip down the hammer furthest from the laser, set the capstan height. Then the next hammer, etc.  The advantage is that you don't need to crane your neck to keep your line of vision in a constant position relative to a reference straight edge.  For my aching back, that is a big advantage.  If you've bored the hammers to match a curved string plane, align the laser to the shanks.

For checking height consider that you will only need to press down one key at a time (if you have been using the hand-full-of-notes-comparison method) and there will be no reference rail to be reached around or moved out of the way if that was your method.  You can actually reach through the light beam with your hand and bend the back check!

The laser is faster.

For $15 you can try it and have another tool...it's a no-brainer...isn't it?

Ed Sutton