New Petrof 210 review / Dale

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Oct 17 22:23:43 MDT 2006

Ric
  Mainly I was curious as to wether they've discontinued  the use of wippen
assist spring & overly heavy hammers which routinely  sabatoge the otherwise
nicely desgined action ratio of Aprrox. 5.3.  You  know?
  Dale

Actually, there is a lot going on at Petrof at the present.  There  seems
to have been a light turned on for some of the top brass of the  company.
They believe that with in the next few years the Chinese will  totally
dominate the low end market, and the only survivors in the west  will be
high end instruments... and they mean real high end. The way I  read his
comments he more or less said that if you cant get right up their  with
Hamburg Steinway, Bosendorfer, and Fazioli.... you might as well as  well
shut down now.

So.... yes... the Petrof action is going  under some big overhauls as
well.  There was some talk about using  the felt punchings André
introduced to many of us as well. They are  building there own action and
action parts again.  And the design has  been revamped somewhat. I don't
have the exact details for you  but  it is similar to the Renner action
by his description and incorporates  some elements from the pre 1940
Petrof instrument.  I have to believe  tho that they will stick with
their individual fitting of hammer bores to  each section for each piano.

Hope that answers you at least in  part.

Cheers
RicB