High tension? Low? Board stiffness? was Hammer Types

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Oct 19 08:14:27 MDT 2006

Hi Alan
   You asked  about 20 questions but I'm  answering only a couple.  Ronsen
Wurzen hammers are very consistent.
I base this on having used a dozen or more sets.  SO the  difference is in
the soundboard system/scaling/down bearing  etc.
  I think of high tension low tension in terms of plain  wire.  Steinway
scales , models S,M,l,O & the A's as 160 ish lbs per  string on the plain wire.
Models B,C,D have higher tension in the 180's or  higher or tensions that spike
high like the C into the  190's.
  Other scale heads will have more to offer than  this.
  As far as no. of ribs in general the more the  merrier. Rather have too
much support than not enough.  You have to  start paying attention to this stuff
so you can begin to draw some general  conclusion your self.  How many ribs
how tall etc.  where are the cut outs.  And remember most of the boards you
will see are compression crowned so how do you quantify that? Not!
  Dale's general rule of thumb is that the stiffer the  hammer requeiremnts
the stiffer the soundboard & vice  verse.
  On the Wurzens you thought needed a thin dilution  of  juice. The lightest
solution would probably give you enough of what you  were after without
adverse effect or wait for a years hard  playing.
  So may question so little time
  Dale

Hi,
In the recent hammer types thread David Love and others talked about
high-tension and low-tension scales. Quantitatively what does that mean? I'd  like to
see some actual, real-world parameters as to the upper and lower  limits of
tension for high-tension  and low-tension scales. Would these parameters change
correspondingly as the  size of the piano changes?
Ditto for inharmonicity.
I don't ask for much, do I?! ;-)
While we're at it, can soundboard stiffness be evaluated (at least
qualitatively) on your basic fully-strung piano in someone's living room? What  are the
major factors that define stiffness? Does downbearing play a role  here? I'm
looking for an answer that has specific, measurable quantities like,  "A stiff
system has ribs spaced x inches apart with each rib notched into the  rim.
Ribs are x inches in profile under the long bridge tapering to x inches  then
tapering to x inches at the rim. A stiff board is x inches thick under  the long
bridge tapering to ......, whereas a flexible system  ..................."
And also, "X piano brand is a good example of a stiff  system, whereas x pianos
use a more flexible system..........." You get the  idea.
The other thing in this thread that got my attention was the description of
the hammer types matched to the Walter scale. I installed a set of Ronsen
Wurzen hammers on a Baldwin L last year. I would characterize the sound as  being
darker and colorful, and maybe needing a little juice especially in the  top
2 octaves for a bit more definition. Needling was not even a consideration
for these hammers on this piano . But David's description of the Wurzens on  the
Walter paints a very different picture of Ronsen Wurzens. So what gives?  Is
there a lot of difference in Wurzens from set to set? Or is it that if we
were to put the same Wurzens on the Baldwin L and then the Walter, we would  have
"dark" hammers on one, but "bright" hammers on the other, the explanation
being that the tone produced is a function of the interaction of the hammer
with the board system? Is it possible for their to be enough difference in the
board system to produce such different tone (needling like hell vs. maybe
needing a bit of juice) from the same type of hammer (assuming the hammers are
identical)?
Trying to educate myself. Thanks for any responses and thanks also to David
for initiating this  interesting thread.
Alan