Nipples on a bull

William Morton wjmwjm at asisna.com
Fri Oct 20 16:54:24 MDT 2006

On 20, Oct 2006, , at 15:45, David Ilvedson wrote:

> You're joking right?   What would you have done without that
> useless pedal stored right there when you need it?..;-]

One Sunday many many years ago I sat down at a VERY old upright in a
conservative
Baptist church to accompany the hymns.  There was no organ.  I got
there just in time
to encounter a no-name upright of ancient vintage and it had 4!
pedals, not 3.  Dummy
me, I HAD to try out that 4th pedal to see what it did.
Unfortunately, I waited to do this
until we were full into the hymns and when I pushed it down it
LATCHED.  And, it converted
the piano into a "jazz-style, rinky-tink" piano, obviously
inappropriate for the hymns.  I fumbled
around for a few measures and finally got it turned off again.   I
apologized later to the pastor
and he said something to the effect of "oh, we always catch a new
volunteer with that one", so
it turned out all right.

Bill