removing shanks from butts

ed miller edmiller3 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 21 08:42:47 MDT 2006

List,

I am about to rebuild a set of hammer butts, and put in new shanks and
hammers. However, I can't get these pesky shanks out of the butts. I have
done everything I've learned..... breaking away the collar, soaking the
shank/butt joint with wallpaper remover, even applying some steam to help
loosen the glue (it is hot hide glue).

I've only tried it on shanks that have hammers already broken off. So I've
been using a shank clamp as the end point for the shank/butt remover to push
against. The clamp keeps sliding up the shank before the shank/butt joint
will break loose (and I've tightened it really hard, to the point where the
shank is pretty smooshed).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ed