removing shanks from butts

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Sat Oct 21 15:18:23 MDT 2006

If the shanks are maple, this method can work well if everything is done
right: the right size hole (#29 drill or close to it), soaking the area
with a surfactant (wallpaper paste remover is good - give it a minute or
so to soak in), inserting the screw and then applying heat (kitchen
match for about 15 seconds should work), and finally extracting with a
hammer head and butt extractor (Schaff #130A).

If the shanks are cedar, most likely the screw will pull out leaving
most of the shank. As Dave said, you can now center the drill bit you'll
need to clean out the hole.

Tom Cole