removing shanks from butts

ed miller edmiller3 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 22 07:05:44 MDT 2006

Thanks for all your ideas. Heat did the trick.

I'm rebuilding the butts, rather than buying new ones to get the experience
of doing all of the repairs involved. This is my practice piano. I figured
I'd get more practice by completely rebuilding the butts than just simply
buying new ones.

I'm suprised to hear a few of you say it is cheaper to replace the butts
with new ones. According to my research it is MUCH cheaper to rebuild the
butts myself (based soley on the price of parts, not including
labor....since this is my own piano and I'm looking for practice, labor time
is not a factor). The following prices came from the Schaff catalog:

Catcher buckskin $2.35 + butt buckskin $2.06 + Bridle straps $5.50 + Hammer
butt felt squares $1.38 + Flange bushing felt per strip .86 + bag of center
pins $8.60 = $20.75

Set of upright brass rail butts No. 509 = $194.83

$20.75 to rebuild, compared to $194.83 to buy new.

Ed