High tension/ Ms Diller (OT?)

hubert liverman hubertliverman at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 23 12:02:01 MDT 2006

Hi Ric,

Ethel Merman or Carole Channing.. for two entirely different "voicing" issues.
I know nothing about her personal life except for the week that she was the Star Act on board. She treated every musician with respect and had a great time with the passengers and crew. As Ron said "a classy lady". There were some 'stars' that did not enjoy our respect!
To keep on topic, there were 7 or 8 pianos on board, and they were tuned weekly. 1  9 foot Errard, 1 Small Gaveau grand, 3 Yamaha grands, and 1 Yamaha upright...I forget the numbers.
Time was limited for the two tuners and there was a small string/parts supply on board. I had brought a "triage" tuning/regulation kit with me, and took up the slack. There were 42 musicians on board and the pianos were played 5 or so hours daily.

By the way: Anna Russell died last week....R.I.P.
    "I am not making this up"
               A.R. (circa 1947)