[CAUT] Baldwin SD-10

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Oct 24 08:19:55 MDT 2006

I don't think anything is wrong with Opinions. I  value  simple educated &
experiential opinions.  I value  them, & folks here on the list, otherwise the
list would have zero  meaning & ability to help me & others.
  In terms of A B experiements & the duplex thing I  recently rebuilt a
1980's  Steinwy B. It went home last week so this is  fresh.
   New strings Action etc. A great Board.   Lovely sound. The factory draft
angle on the front duplex had been  increased dramatically over the usual low
angle.  I didn't measure it but  it looked more like a Mason Hamlin BB than
Most Stwy B.  The point is there  was no leakage at forte levels & the sound was
clear &  focused.  I prefer that to the sound & loss of leakages which seems
to  be one point of this thread.
   Are new Bs adopting this or was it just a glitch?  hope not
  Just one mans opinion
  Dale Erwin

  My
experience (anecdotal evidence of course) from  having changed many
Steinway
counterbearing  areas and left most other things alone (except for new
strings,  bridge renotching, and capo shaping) is that there is no
noticeable
change in the character of the tone, however there is  a noticeable
change in
the clarity, power,  sustain and propensity for leakage.  That might
be  heard
as a change in tonal character but I don't consider it  one.  Rather, it
seems more like a mechanical optimization  of what's already there; tonal
changes, in this case, being  limited to changes in soundboard response.
Whether or not my "perceptions" constitute absolute  proof in pure
scientific
terms, I'd have to say  they don't and could be construed as a simple
matter
of opinion.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net