[CAUT] Baldwin SD-10

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Oct 24 09:19:00 MDT 2006

Hi Dale

I would just have loved to compare the amount of real leakage before and
after on this job.  I've seen and done this exact kind of job myself on
a number of occasions and find that while string noise is affected
significantly, leakage across to the front length per se is nearly
unchanged. Demonstrated by the fact that when you measure the output of
the undamped speaking length for similar pluck strengths of the front
length one is pressed to find a measurable difference.

Again... its my experience that leakage across to the front length per
se and string noises are not all that related.  Leakage as it does
relate to string noises does'nt get past the termination... that energy
is all used up in the functioning of the buzzing between the string and
the termination.

As for the new  B.... I'd very much like to know whether or not their
basic front length specs were changed along with the counterbearing angle.

btw... I agree one hundred percent on the comment about opinions. Well said.

Cheers
RicB

    I don't think anything is wrong with Opinions. I  value  simple
    educated &
    experiential opinions.  I value  them, & folks here on the list,
    otherwise the
    list would have zero  meaning & ability to help me & others.
      In terms of A B experiements & the duplex thing I  recently rebuilt a
    1980's  Steinwy B. It went home last week so this is  fresh.
       New strings Action etc. A great Board.   Lovely sound. The
    factory draft
    angle on the front duplex had been  increased dramatically over the
    usual low
    angle.  I didn't measure it but  it looked more like a Mason Hamlin
    BB than
    Most Stwy B.  The point is there  was no leakage at forte levels &
    the sound was
    clear &  focused.  I prefer that to the sound & loss of leakages
    which seems
    to  be one point of this thread.
       Are new Bs adopting this or was it just a glitch?  hope not
      Just one mans opinion
      Dale Erwin