steinway squeak

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Wed Oct 25 22:00:43 MDT 2006

 Rick,

I have a pet peeve against pedal squeaks.  It detracts from my playing enjoyment more than perhaps any other thing.

Good advice from Alan.  Here's a list of squeaks I've found in the past and possible cures.

(already lubed rod tips, right?)
pedal lever brackets, hinges and springs at the bottom board(protek the pedal pins, VJ lube or some non-runny concoction with staying power on springs and brackets.  Protek works short term)
damper lift rod hinges/dags, whateva you call them might be loose(tighten screws, use Protek)
damper springs (Protek or teflon powder)
damper flanges (Protek)
damper lift rod/felts (some use protek on the felt, I think teflon powder works better and lasts longer)
case parts rubbing flexing and/or rubbing against each other (tighten all accessible screws, check bottom board clasp.  I've inserted buckskin between the clasp and bottom panel to them from squeaking)

Hope this helps!

Dave Stahl