1844 broadwood hammer felt

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Oct 27 21:47:33 MDT 2006

Hi Max
  Even wool felt, as resilient as it is, has a life  span.  It is after all,
animal hair subject to the ravages of time &  climate.  Refelting would be a
wise option IMO.
  Cheers
  Dale

Hello,

I am in the process of restoring an 1844 8' grand  similar to the broadwood
used by chopin in england.

the hammers look original, or close to original  and still have a good amount
of felt.

I would like to keep the original felt if  possible by softening the old and
hardened felt in some way.

I am working with a piano tech who mentioned that  re-felting would be ideal..

I would like to see if there is some way or  restoring the resiliency of the
felt with steam or distilled water and a hair  drier or something..

what would be the best way?

cheers,

Max DM

Dale  Erwin--Piano Restorations
Modesto, Ca.
Shop 209-577-8397
cell  209-985-0990
Web site _http://www.Erwinspiano.com_ (http://www.erwinspiano.com/)
Restoration & Sales of
Steinway & Sons plus  other fine pianos.
Custom made soundboards by  design