Glue for cracked rib? ( Terry ????? )

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 28 10:06:55 MDT 2006

Thanks, Terry.
     I just made some of these. But the question
remains: what glue? Bolduc? Epoxy? CA? I'm tempted to
try ultra-thin CA, simply because it is the least
viscous, and should wick into the rib crack well.
First I plan to blast out the crack in the rib with
brake part cleaner and one of those pipette tubes that
comes with it,  as these is some residue in the rib
crack from stripping the board ( with straight acetone
) that went through the soundboard cracks to below.
Then I'lll roll the piano on its tail so that the ribs
are horizontal, and glue dripped on the crack from the
side will fill it well. Then I'll put in the wire type
clamp, and waita  few days. Question: I don't have any
CA accelerator, and none is sold in thios town. What
else might help it cure ?
      If the wire doesn't want to come out, I'll try
heating it slightly. Heat softens cured CA>
     An alternative ( that I've used to get glue into
tight spaces ) would to be to squeeze an exacto knife
blade into the rib crack, after drilling a tiny pilot
hole from above, poutting the drill bit back in to
make sure that the blade stops it, then drillinga
slighly larger hole ( like 1/8" ) from the board side,
and fliinig it with glue. With the blade still in
place, or with the intitial, smaller bit stuck in the
back half of the hole, glue can then be squeezed (
witha  hypo ) into the 1/8" hole, and the 1/8" bit
turned around and used as a piston to force it into
the joiunt. This works very well to get glue into
tight spaces.
     What would you do?
     Thump