Rebushing centers method

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Oct 28 10:41:51 MDT 2006

Hi All,

Hey... if you are good at tearing zee cashmir then you are good at
tearing zee cashmir.  Either way I dont see there is going to be the
major type difference.  If you need a consistant starter tear make
yourself a cutting jig.  I've heard some wonderful mystical stories
about how teared felt ends meld together so much better then cut sides,
but I kinda have to think that falls into the domain of magi myself.

I usually tear because I seldom bother to by precut cashmir. Its less
expensive in bulk form and there are various uses for it.

Cheers
RicB

    I was having a discussion with a friend about rebushing centers.  We
    were
    wondering about a more scientific approach to choosing the thickness
    of the
    cloth and cutting or tearing it to the correct width--my approach,
    if it
    even qualifies as one, is rather haphazard and it seems to take me
    forever
    to find the right combination.  It could be that I'm just a klutz.

    Has anyone really proven that tearing the cloth is better than
    cutting it?
    Renner and Steinway sell the cloth already cut, with glue or
    whatever it is
    on one side--is using it a compromise?  (No, we don't have to get
    into a
    discussion of Steinway bushing cloth here.)

    Why is it that in the (long) past, I didn't seem to have an issue
    with this
    (maybe that crummy cloth we used was easy to work with?)?  No, you
    don't
    have to answer this one.

    We've looked through the archives, never quite getting the
    information we've
    wanted.  The information from Renner is good, but doesn't really
    apply to
    our questions.

    Thanks much.

    Barbara Richmond, RPT