popsicle stick engineering

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Oct 29 10:46:02 MST 2006

Woah.... 9 leads in the low tenor keys ???? Sounds like there's a lot
more wrong with this beast then just capstan placement... heck that
could be the only thing right with the beast :)

This is where Stanwood is at its best IMHO... i.e. quickly and
efficiently straigtening out action balance problems.  A quick
measurement of SW ratio parameters and you know just how much front
weight you should have for any SW curve... and whether or not that SW
curve is appropriate for the action or not.  Combined with some basics
about action design you can greatly improve the play of just about any
action without much difficulty.

Clark... I'd suggest you'd find David Stanwoods methods not only
attractive... but exactly the tool for figuring out action problems like
this one.

Cheers
RicB

Hi, All!  I have been dealing with a S&S B that I found with up to 9
leads in some of the low tenor keys.  All the parts had been replaced
with Renner to get rid of the Teflon flanges, but it was heavy,
sluggish, and just a chore to play for long.  I am not all that familiar
with the Stanwood protocols, but as time goes on, the concept gets more
and more attractive.  What I found, was that I had to shorten the dip,
lengthen the blow, to get it less laborious to play.  So, what I suspect
, is that the capstan placement is incorrect for the parts used, or was
incorrect from the start?  They also had the damper timing late to try
to make it feel lighter, so late that the hammer almost hit the strings
before it lifted.
    Ric, your comments on the more creative combinations of blow, dip,
etc hit a chord with me on this beast.
    There were too many leads in from the factory, and you could tell be
looking that some more were added with the new parts, as they did not
look factory at all,  so the problems just got worse, evidently with the
parts replacement.
Clark A. Sprague, RPT