Re. Popsicle Stick Engineering

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 29 11:13:59 MST 2006

Hi, All! I have been dealing with a S&S B that I found with up to 9 leads
in some of the low tenor keys. All the parts had been replaced with Renner
to get rid of the Teflon flanges, but it was heavy, sluggish, and just a
chore to play for long.

I've found that the Teflon era actions, had Pratt-Read keys. These keys
were some of the worst of any out there: Poorly cut/Key Buttons off key
travel direction/Extreme key flex....ad nauseum.<G> The last one of these I
did, required New key buttons, (hardwood and 2" longer than usual),
straightening up the capstan line and determining the Magic line, (which
was way off). Once all that was done, the "D" played quite well within our
criteria. i.e. check the key for flex and bad key buttons, before moving
any capstans.<G>
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police