popsicle stick engineering

David C. Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Mon Oct 30 06:38:32 MST 2006

>Ric B writes: <snip>
>if you can get a 10 mm dip, 46 mm blow, 1-2 mm let-off and good aftertouch
>then an
>appropriate set of hammers for the existing leverage should work at
>least fairly well. <snip>
Ric,

I disagree with you.  In my opinion Kent is on the right track moving the
capstan line to get the ratio down to 5.6.  So long as he can regulate the
action there is every reason to take this course (reducing the ratio to 5.6
level) in combination with a normal weight hammer (TopMedium).  The
regulation will need a shorter blow and deeper dip.  One can regulate dip
as deep as 10.5mm dip and blow as short as 44.5mm blow and have a perfectly
great feeling low ratio action...

Don't take my word for it...  Steinway specifications according to the
Steinway Technical Guide 1992 Page 38 states  "it should be noted that the
key dip can vary within the suggested range of .390 inches and .420 inches
for any Steinway piano" (9.9mm-10.7mm).  Page 23 of the guide gives a  blow
of 1 3/4"/44.5mm for models S-B.

David Stanwood