popsicle stick engineering

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Oct 30 19:18:10 MST 2006

Ric
  I Agree. Same page
  Dale

As far  as Kent moving the capstan alone to get a 5.6 ratio...  Again...
if  the capstan placement yields anything close to the above specs...
then  ok... but if those specs already exist for his 6.5 ratio (which
seems  unlikely I'll admit but just so) then the roughly 6-8 mm of move
that will  be needed will force a regulation that will require either a
significantly  shorter blow, deeper key dip, or more let-of distance to
keep the same  aftertouch.  No way around it....  lowering the ratio will
move  the action in that direction.  If you at least double check your
capstan placement with the standard ratio as a guide to see in each
case... what harm in that ?

I know about Steinways relatively wide  window of action regulation
parameters.  For my part.  10.5 mm  and 44.5 blow is the extreme end of
low ratios.  I dont shoot for  outpoints myself.  Nor do I see it is
necessary in like 95% of the  cases I run into.

Cheers
RicB