popsicle stick engineering

David C. Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Tue Oct 31 06:22:24 MST 2006

>David S....  You can not possibly mean to say that you take issue with
>the claim I make below.  It is a matter of the simplest course that an
>action that regulates to a 10 mm dip, 46 mm blow, 1-2 mm let-off and
>good aftertouch can recieve an appropriate set of hammers for whatever
>existing strike weight ratio there is there.  Such an action is per
>definition in the middle field to begin with.

44.5mm blow as apposed to 46mm is my only disagreement with you Ric.
The shorter blow with the lower ratio is usually needed to keep the dip
to 10mm which is my own preference.  The big issue is that Kent's action
will feel dynamically playable with a top medium strike weight were as
a 6.5 ratio will take to much force to play with such a hammer weight.

>As far as Kent moving the capstan alone to get a 5.6 ratio...  Again...
>if the capstan placement yields anything close to the above specs...
>then ok...

I agree!

Agreeably,

David S.