Baldwin Monarch Micro-Grand

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Oct 31 15:59:35 MST 2006

Boy I tell you what... you guys must get some absolutely trashed out
instruments over there what with all the stories I hear.  In 35 years of
working on pianos I have never ever ever never ever run into a piano
where you could not hear this kind of beat rate at the killer octave.
At A6... typical killer octave note I'd say... 8 cents is roughly 8
beats per second.  Really.... I cant say I've ever heard a killer octave
note that didnt sustain at least for 5-6 seconds. Ok... maybe 4 seconds
if you count C7 as killer octave range.

And.... I'm curious... how can you hear false beats at that range and
not hear regular beat rates ?

Cheers
RicB

    www.farrellpiano.com

    terry at farrellpiano.com

    BTW - Don't you just love sustain-shortened killer octave areas? I
    was doing
    some measurements with my Verituner and found that on some notes I
    could have a
    unison up to about 8 cents off and you would barely hear the start
    of a beat!
    Talk about some mighty easy/fast tuning! Add the false beats into
    the mix and
    those dead scale areas can actually be an asset for some pianos!