Player rant

pianolady50 at peoplepc.com pianolady50 at peoplepc.com
Tue Oct 31 17:18:39 MST 2006

Okay, I'll clear up a few things.  I started as a piano tech.  I then branched out to player work.  I love both, have been at both for over ten years.  At the high point of playerism I was REBUILDING approx. 4 - 5 88 note players and 2 reproducers per year. Throw in a few reed organs to that mix.  Not to mention regular tuning and piano work. Some of the work was done in cooperation with another very experienced technician.

Now, after a move, and space limitations, I don't do as much full rebuild work.  However, I am the only tech in the area for player work.  My schedule  for major rebuilds is backlogged well over one year.  I have tried to be a bit selective in the work with my emphasis tending more towards more unique instruments.  I rebuilt my first Seeburg aka Western Electric Derby this past spring.  I was overjoyed.  I had a blast!

Anyway, my point is, it is to me that the other two techs refer all their player rebuild work.  I assume that each initially felt that this was a piano problem.  And it was.

Soooo,  piano tech X looks at the piano.  Removes the player to see things better AND STILL doesn't find the problem.  Once that player stack was out of the way, this was no different than a run of the mill old upright.

And, yes, I'm happy to be the person to save the day.  Unfortunately there was nothing challenging about it and I like to be challenged.  I understand that most times things are rather routine. I guess my problem is that my mind boggles that two techs, one in the business here for over 25 years and the other for about 8 were stumped with this.

Sigh,
Debbie