String Installation Question

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Thu Aug 2 19:26:09 MDT 2007

Loosen it, and lift.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Matthew Todd
  To: Pianotech List
  Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 9:52 PM
  Subject: Re: String Installation Question

  I have a mic.  My question was how can you get an accurate reading of a string still in the piano.

  paul bruesch <paul at bruesch.net> wrote:
    You need to have a mic to measure the wire, but you do not have to spend $200. Schaff sells a nice Starrett for $100. It's not the digital display type, so you'll need to spend five minutes learning how to read it. You could also pick up one from a retiring tech, or possibly even buy a cheap one to get started... not my recommendation, though. The really expensive wire gauges only read whole wire sizes. Convenient, but not too useful.

    The other day I tuned a S&S M. The A4 note only had one string, and when I pointed it out to the owner she said she'd heard a clangy noise a week prior. Funny, she didn't notice how weak-sounding that one note was, and likewise there was no trace of the remains (except the coils and an inch or two on one of the pins.)

    Paul Bruesch
    Stillwater, MN