Baldwin SD-10 ruminations (long)

atonal at telusplanet.net atonal at telusplanet.net
Sat Aug 4 08:37:44 MDT 2007

Greetings all,

It's been quite a while since I've posted, although I sporadically check the list and I'm
pleased to see the new techs along with some old-timers (mind you, 10 years is
forever for a internet listserve).

Today's project is a 1972 Baldwin SD-10. We have acquired this piano from a local
church that has changed venues and traded the piano on other musical equipment.

Condition of the piano is beaten. Over the years, top treble restringing has ocurred,
hammers have been extensively hardened, critters have taken up residence in it for
a time mauling the damper felt, and overall tone and power are bright and weak.

Leaving aside action considerations for a moment, I am now in the analysis phase of
the soundboard and downbearing. The board is free from separations, and I have
found no change in crown measurements from the loaded state (4-6 mm in central
sections of the board) to unloaded. I am getting the same crown measurements with
the strings off as with them on.

Bearing analysis shows some whacky results. Using my newly-acquired Lowell
Composite Bearing Gauge (shout out to Piano Tek!) The front bearing is nicely
positive in the top two sections, zero to negative in the tenor and mid sections, and
back to decently positive in the bass. Back bearing shows the opposite, negative in
the top 2, positive in the centre and tenor, and positive in the bass. Now, the Accu-
Just pins won't be able to cure all of the back bearing problems, as they are at the
bottom of the pin on the top two sections (the re-strung ones) and the rear bearing is
still negative! Judging by feel, I can't discern any bridge roll or rippling/cracking of the
soundboard at the bridge. So now I have to decide of I can change the plate height to
correct these bearing problems, or if a new soundboard is in order.

Having mulled this over for the past week, the problems boil down to this:

Lowering the plate will increase front bearing in the centre where needed, but also
severely increase the front bearing in the top, which is currently nicely positive.
Lowering the plate will also allow me to increase rear bearing in the top treble and
allow the Accu-Just pins to be set properly. The tenor and bass Accu-Just pins were
near the top of the pin, and bearing was positive. If I keep the existing board, I will
have to cant the plate, lowering the front (more on the bass side) and bringing down
the rear on the treble side, if possible.

As much as I'd like to pack the whole thing off to Bolduc for a new board and
bridges, I have to make my business case to the powers that be (i.e. he who writes
the cheques.)

Still in the analysis phase currently, anyone with experience in resetting threaded
plate systems please chime in.

Regards,

Rob Kiddell RPT
Edmonton, Canada