composite block warping

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Aug 4 21:34:38 MDT 2007

>  I've had a couple of problems with making and
> drilling composite blocks.    Just one to bring up
> with this post.
>
> On the three composite blocks I have made thus far,
> (5/16 cap of delignit on multi-lam)   I am getting a
> warping after we expoxy the two together.  The plate
> web screws are able to straighten this out but, this
> isn't what I want.
>
> Does this have something to do with how we're resawing
> or planing the block down to thickness?  We're not
> paying any special attention to how many laminations
> are remaining.  I have heard that this isn't important
> and also the contrary.
>
> ????
>
> Comments?
>
> Bob Hull

Hi Bob,
I've made a few more of these blocks, and can't say I've run
into anything I'd consider to be a problem in practice.
Commercially produced blocks aren't dead flat either, nor are
plate webbing areas, typically. As long as everything sucks up
tight with the screws, where's the problem? What are you
seeing that I'm not?
Ron N