Broken String Hall of Fame (was: Church breaking wound strings)

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 22:07:49 MDT 2007

You guys, I just have to chuckle as I read these posts.  Breaking strings was actually one of the key factors that got me interested in piano technology.  The church I belonged to back in the 90's had a Mason and Hamlin grand that had a big problem of string breakage.  I broke maybe 5 or 6 with my playing.  I even had the strings saved for the longest, and circled and dated the spots in the music where I broke them.  They were great moments for me, lol.

  I finally began to get frustrated and started to delve into piano repair.  The rest is history.

  Oh, and I teach piano privately, and no one becomes an official student of mine until they break a string (just joking guys.....well pretty much).

  Matthew

Michael Magness <ifixpiano at gmail.com> wrote:
    Hi Michelle,
  I had the same problem with a KG-2 in a church here in Wisconsin, heavy handed player breaking bass strings. Mapes offered to use a heavier core and lighter winding making the string the same weight but harder to break! They have all the scalings for Kawai pianos, probably Bostons too since Kawai builds them, I'd check w/them and see if it's possible.
  It solved my problem!
  Mike

  On 8/6/07, Michelle Smith <michelle at smithpianoservice.com> wrote:         Hi from hot and muggy Texas.  I have an African-American church that is breaking wound strings on an upright Boston on a regular basis.  (Replaced 5 a few months ago and now they've called with more.)  I'm sure they're aware that they need to back off but it's just not going to happen.

  Is there any kind of amplification system for uprights that would give them some significant volume?

  I'd really like to see them purchase a digital keyboard (I know Jack Wyatt.  It's NOT a digital piano!) but the Boston was donated.

  Thanks!

  Michelle Smith
  Smith Piano Service
  Bastrop, Texas