What are benefits of new shanks on upright hammer replacement ?

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 16:51:18 MDT 2007

On 8/28/07, gordon stelter <lclgcnp at yahoo.com> wrote:

> If any.  I'm trying to decide if the added expense and
> trouble is justified, for several of the pianos I'm
> working on.
>     Peace,
>     Thump
>
> If they're old & twisted/bent/weak/ top 15 or 20 made of cedar I would
> probably replace them. I once worked on an upright a couple brought back
> from eastern europe that had new shanks. Whoever had done it hadn't bored
> out the butts deep enough, they were only glued in about 3/8" and when I
> struck a hard blow to set my tuning, they would break out the top of the
> butt. I must have re-done 20 or more of those.

My point is it's a lot of work for not a lot of return if the shanks are
decent, true you have to reduce the hammer shanks a little, if using the
originals, to remove all the glue. However you can bore your hammers a
little smaller diameter to account for this or use the Titebond Molding and
Trim glue to fill the excess, if they're already bored.

--
Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
email mike at ifixpianos.com