Whadayathink of this piano sound?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sat Dec 1 13:42:06 MST 2007

OK, so, I grovel in mortification for having confused Simple Gifts withn the
Bonny Banks O' Loch Lomond!

Can I be excused on the grounds that a) I was off work with a stinkin' cold,
and in bed when I listened on my laptop; b) I live not far from the bonny
banks o' Loch Lomond; c) It *just about* fits.

Having now listened to the samples through decent speakers (Linaeum) I can't
really tell a difference between the two file types.   I also find that it
doesn't have the Bosendorfer-ish quality I thought I deteceted on the tiny
laptop speakers, and I can hear the Steinway pedigree, but the piano
sounding very fresh and lovely and lively.

The old Steinway B's seem to restore so well. The local theatre here has a
Hamburg Steinway B that's about 115 years old and was restored by Steinway
London about 25 years ago, and it's just beautiful, always a joy to tune and
play (if it weren't so cold and draughty in there!).

The whole business of making recordings on the move is interesting. Cassette
tape is done, but things are not quite "there" yet, I feel, in terms of a
simple way to make nice digtial stereo recordings with readily portable
equipment.  Though yours were most enjoyable, Kent!  I think the music
industry, of course, doesnt WANT people to make their own recordings......

Best regards,

David