Whadayathink of this piano sound?

Gary Fluke gary.fluke at verizon.net
Sat Dec 1 14:39:05 MST 2007

David,

'"...but things are not quite "there" yet..."  Are you serious?  Digital
recording is fantastic.  Easy to use portable digital recorders are readily
available.  No previous method of recording can compare with digital
regarding.  Digital recording devastates all the previous methods regarding
fidelity, including wow and flutter, harmonic distortion, noise and dynamic
range, not to mention the economy of storage mediums, random access
capability, ability to edit and modify sound, etc.  Of course, the piano has
historically been one of the best instruments to record as a test of a
recording medium as it has a huge dynamic range and especially the fact that
wow and flutter is very noticeable when recording piano.  A piano's sound is
dead solid when it comes to sustaining a uniform pitch as notes decay, so
any wow or flutter is noticed.  This is unlike woodwinds and bowed
instruments.  There is virtually no wow and flutter with the digital medium.

Interestingly enough, George Martin has said that those who don't like what
they sound like when recorded digitally and want to use analog tape instead,
need to address what it is about their sound that needs to be "fixed" by the
distortion of analog tape.

Gary Fluke
Snohomish, WA